Insurance and Liability Limit
Under our base daily rental rate, comprehensive insurance for your vehicle, and for third-party liability, is included. Upgrade options are available to reduce your Liability Limit below the standard limit.
A Liability Limit for you of $3,000* in case of an accident with no additional charge. However, we recommend you upgrade to one of our Liability Limit Reduction (LLR) options to reduce your maximum potential liability and give you peace of mind on your travels.
Choose one of the following LLR options:
Option B (recommended):
Reduce your Liability Limit to $1,500* by paying an additional $12 per day for regular cars, $15 per day for other vehicle types. Upgrade to Option C if you would like windscreen cover.
Reduce your Liability Limit to zero* by paying an additional $24 per day for regular cars, $30 per day for other vehicle types. This option also includes cover for any windscreen damage.
* Please note that:
- All limits are $500 higher for drivers aged under 21 or on a restricted driving licence.
- A higher Liability Limit applies in the circumstance of the exclusions listed below, regardless of any LLR chosen.
The hirer’s credit card will be authorised for the amount of the applicable Liability Limit at the time of rental.
If an accident or theft occurs while the car is on hire the hirer is liable up to their Liability Limit amount or the cost of repair or loss or damage, whichever is the lesser amount. The liability limit applies to damage caused to the vehicle or damage caused by the vehicle to other vehicles or property up to the value of NZD1,000,000.
What our insurance covers
All insurance options cover damage to or loss of the vehicle you are driving and third-party liability, subject to the exclusions listed below.
Cover for windscreen damage is only included when you choose to reduce your liability limit to zero (Option C).
Tyre damage is not covered under any of our insurance options.
The costs of dealing with personal injuries from accidents that occur in New Zealand are covered by New Zealand's Accident Compensation (ACC) scheme.
We recommend you arrange your own additional insurance to cover costs associated with personal injuries that may fall outside what is covered by ACC.
The indemnities referred to above shall not apply and the Hirer’s liability is increased to the replacement cost of the vehicle up to a maximum of $5,000 where the damage, injury or loss arises when:
- a) The driver of the vehicle is under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or any other substance that affects his or her ability to drive the vehicle;
- b) The vehicle is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition, which arises during the hire, of which the Hirer is aware, or should be aware of, and which causes or contributes to further damage or loss;
- c) The vehicle is operated in any race, speed test, rally or contest;
- d) The vehicle is driven by any person not named in clause 1 of the Rental Agreement;
- e) The vehicle is driven by any person who, at the time he or she drives the vehicle, is disqualified from holding, or does not hold a driver’s license appropriate for the vehicle, or drives outside the conditions associated with the license type held;
- f) The vehicle is wilfully or recklessly damaged by the Hirer, any person named in clause 1 of the Rental Agreement or any other person driving the vehicle under the authority of the Hirer;
- g) The vehicle is lost or stolen as a result of willful or reckless behaviour of the Hirer or any such person;
- h) The vehicle is operated outside the term of the hire, or any agreed extension of the term;
- i) The vehicle is operated in breach of clause 6 or 7 of the Rental Agreement;
- j) The driver is charged with an infringement or offence as a result of an accident.
- k) The vehicle is operated on any of the following roads: Tasman Valley Rd (Mt Cook), Skippers Canyon Rd (Queenstown), or any unformed road or any beach including Ninety Mile Beach;
- l) Any damage is caused during the fitting of snow chains or roof racks when the vehicle is on hire, and;
- m) The vehicle is damaged as a result of any single vehicle incident or accident;
- n) In the event of a single vehicle accident the cost of towing and/or salvage of the vehicle will also be at the Hirer’s expense