Insurance and Liability Limit
Comprehensive insurance for your vehicle, and for third-party liability, is included in our daily rental rate, subject to a hirer Liability Limit and some exclusions. The following upgrade options are available to reduce your Liability Limit:
|Standard, included in hire rate||
Liability Limit and Risk Reduction Options
(for an additional daily fee)
|Highest Risk||More Manageable||Peace of Mind||Ultimate Peace of Mind|
|Additional daily rate - cars^||$0||$15||$25||$35|
|Additional daily rate - other vehicles, young drivers and restricted licences^||$0||$20||$30||$40|
|Liability Limit (excess), exclusions apply||$3,000||$1,000||$0||$0|
|Damage to third parties||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Fire and theft||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Roadside Assistance+ (mechanical breakdowns)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Extra Roadside Assistance+ (non-mechanical issues)||Yes|
|Windscreen chip or breakage||Yes||Yes|
|Tyre damage or replacement||Yes|
^ Car categories: Electric Car, Compact, Intermediate, Family Sedan, Station Wagon, SUV, Trailer
Other vehicle categories: Sports Car, People Mover, Minibus, Campervan, Cargo Van
Young drivers: 18-20-year olds
Restricted licence: NZ restricted licence, Australian P licence or equivalent
* If the Peace of Mind or Ultimate Peace of Mind options are chosen, a $100 fuel bond will be held on your credit or debit card for the duration of the rental. This will be released upon return of the vehicle with a full fuel tank, provided all other conditions of the hire have been adhered to.
+ Read the Roadside Assistance page for further information about the Roadside Assistance options.
If you hire a ___mode vehicle for more than six weeks, there is a cap on the total amount you need to pay for any of the risk reduction options. Please get in touch if you have any questions about planning a long hire.
What do Liability Limit and Bond mean?
The Liability Limit is also known as the excess and is the maximum amount that you can be charged in the event of damage or theft while on hire. Where damage or other loss occurs, when we become aware of it we will charge you for that based on an estimate of the related costs, up to your chosen liability limit amount. Once costs are finalised the amount charged will be refunded or increased accordingly.
The bond is the amount that will be pre-authorised (‘frozen’) on your credit or debit card at the start of your hire for the duration of the rental., The bond is released or refunded in full when the vehicle is returned undamaged with full fuel and all other conditions of hire have been adhered to. Any additional charges arising at the conclusion of the hire will be deducted prior to any bond release. Please note, it may take up to ten business days for your bank to process the release.
What our insurance covers
Your daily hire rate includes insurance relating to damage or loss up to $NZ 1 million. If an accident or theft occurs while the car is on hire, the hirer remains liable for the first part of the cost of repair or loss or damage, up to their chosen Liability Limit amount.
The costs of dealing with personal injuries from accidents that occur in New Zealand are covered by New Zealand's Accident Compensation (ACC) scheme. We recommend you arrange your own additional insurance to cover costs associated with personal injuries that may fall outside what is covered by ACC.
Your hirer Liability Limit is not applicable and you may be liable up to $NZ5,000 if any of the circumstances excluded in the Terms and Conditions apply. The exclusions are:
- a) Any conditions of the rental agreement, including clauses 6, 7 and 11 are not complied with;
- b) The vehicle is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition, which arises during the hire, of which the Hirer is aware, or should be aware of, and which causes or contributes to further damage or loss;
- c) The vehicle is wilfully or recklessly (including reckless and grossly negligent driving) damaged by the Hirer, any person named in clause 1 of the Rental Agreement or any other person driving the vehicle under the authority of the Hirer;
- d) The vehicle is lost, stolen or towed as a result of wilful, reckless or grossly negligent behaviour of the Hirer or any such person;
- e) The driver is charged with an infringement or offence as a result of an accident.
- f) Any damage is caused during the fitting of snow chains or roof racks when the vehicle is on hire;
- g) In the event of wilful or reckless damage the cost of towing and/or salvage of the vehicle will be at the Hirer’s expense